Select Page

Dear parents and carers,

At the end of what has been another very busy academic year across The Canterbury Academy Trust, I write to you with our final Pillars of Excellence Newsletter, attached.

As you will see when you read it, as always, the achievements of our young people are quite remarkable and serve as an inspiration to us all. You will see the work that is being done through our Pillars of Excellence across all of our settings and schools, and I hope you will agree that the opportunities we continue to offer our young people are exceptional. There are so many highlights it is difficult to know where to begin; but certainly, most recently, all which our Trust stands for was beautifully encapsulated in the recent Year 6 production of ‘Oliver,’ and, of course, the Trust wide run of ‘Wizard of Oz’ at The Gulbenkian.

We now move into a very busy summer holiday period across the Trust, with a further £1.5million of capital work beginning on campus. Firstly, we will be delivering a new floodlit hard-court games area on the back field at The Canterbury Academy, ready for September. Likewise, at the same time, we are very excited to launch our new library at The Canterbury Academy and I wish to thank all those parents and families, again, who have supported us in donating books and vouchers; it has been hugely appreciated.

Also, work has begun on the nation’s first ever primary Cullum Centre at The Canterbury Primary School; a facility we are both honoured and very proud to be building. Again, we feel this highlights our Trust’s commitment to a truly comprehensive and fully inclusive education for all students, and all talents.

If you would like to follow the progress on any or all of these builds, you will see regular updates by following us on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/the_canterbury_academy_trust

In further news, I’m delighted to welcome Mrs Sarah Morgan to The Canterbury Academy as Head of School; where Mrs Morgan will operationally lead The Canterbury Academy on a daily basis with the support of myself and the Trust group. She has been introducing herself to some of the students over the last two weeks informally, but will start the new school year in her new role formally and, at that point, meet all of our student body collectively. I know how excited Mrs Morgan is to be joining us and how much she is looking forward to working with our Trust community to continue shaping our vision for the future. 

I wish our Year 6 leavers the very best of luck as they transition to secondary school; and my fingers are crossed for our Year 11 and 13 students who pick their exam results up in August. I hope that all of their hard work is rewarded and they are able to take their next steps in life successfully.

As regards the start of the new academic year, I know that Heads of Schools have already been in touch with the detail and reminders will follow nearer the time.

My final words, as always, are for you as our parents and carers. We have faced much together again this year as a Trust community and yet, through all of that, your support never falters. For this I cannot thank you enough; as nothing we achieve for our students, your children, would be possible without it.

On behalf of all my colleagues across the Trust, I wish you and your families a relaxing and enjoyable summer. We shall look forward to seeing all of our students again in September.

My best regards,

Jon Watson
Chief Executive Officer