Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma – Performing Arts
The Musical Theatre Programme
What’s it about?
The Canterbury Institute for Performing Arts offers what no other post-16 provider in the area can boast: a bespoke, industry-standard, performance-based training programme in Musical Theatre.
Students on the Musical Theatre Programme receive intensive training in the three core skills: dance (ballet, jazz, contemporary etc), drama (taking one day a week, 9am – 4pm, of classes with professional West End performers) and singing (learning the Estill technique, the benchmark of vocal training for the industry).
With a vast yearly calendar of performances to apply their skills, our Musical Theatre students will also enjoy frequent workshops from award-winning Broadway and West End performers, directors, and composers/lyricists.
In addition you will get an introduction to a top acting agent who may represent you professionally. You will also enter national competitions.
All Musical Theatre Programme students will:
- receive professional training in singing, acting and dance
- get the opportunity for professional representation
- achieve BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Performing Arts (Musical Theatre)
- work to gain entry requirement for top drama schools and universities
- perform at prestigious events (local and national, i.e. Move It!)
- work with practitioners from higher education, TV and theatre
- have the opportunity to follow another full A Level course alongside their training
We would recommend a GCSE grade 6 in Drama/Music/Dance/Performing Arts and a keen interest in working within the industry, as well as a successful audition into The Canterbury Institute of Performing Arts.
Mrs. S. Watson – Director of Teaching and Learning
The Canterbury Academy Sixth Form
- Musical Theatre Performance
- Singing Skills and Techniques
- Ballet, Urban Dance, Jazz Dance,
- Acting Styles and more.
- There will be at least three full musicals to perform in each year.
70% performance, 30% coursework for BTEC Extended Diploma (worth three A Levels).
The Musical Theatre Programme will give you a wide knowledge base to help you choose a suitable career path in the musical theatre industry. You will be working with professionals from the industry who will give first hand advice and insight.
Should you achieve the appropriate grades, this course will enable you to move on to higher education at university or drama school.